This is something that probably most people and beginner athletes are not aware of- every sport has their own required socks. The same type of socks should not be used across different sporting disciplines. This fine line is what separates between being a professional athlete and an average athlete who missed a chance to play at the next level.
Socks, for most years, have gone under-appreciated as people used to consider them more as decorative accessories before learning they can optimize every advantage they can get. We continue to understand our bodies more, thanks to new technology. The way you dress during your workout can determine if you get the most from your session.
Consider basketball and how its performance can be enhanced with socks poised to make an athlete gain maximum control of their body.
Performance socks are better versions of ordinary socks. You can have your custom-designed pair and still perform at the top level.
Boys basketball socks are different from girls basketball socks, for starters. Not only in size but how they improve each gender according to their various strengths.
The benefits of using professional basketball socks
- Double welt top: This prevents your socks from rolling down when you make jump shots or shoot free throws. You will not be distracted from the play by having to pull up your socks every now and then. You will be able to have maximum concentration all throughout the game, making a good defense or offensive play because you’ll be able to focus and read the game well.
- Antimicrobial technology: This is intentionally designed to be used to control the odor that your socks emit. Basketball is a very tasking game, and the players often sweat profusely, releasing a terrible body odor. You can prevent your socks from doing the same by wearing a pair that’s designed for sports.
- Moisture-wicking: These socks are designed with a breathable mesh that allows the socks to draw moisture away from your body, leaving your feet and legs dry at all times. There is serious science concerned with this action. The breathable fabric is a controlled balance of the size of the pores. The socks pores are large enough to allow water vapor molecules to go out but smaller than drops of rain to them keep them out.
Wicking performance is determined by permeability, which measures the ability of the fabric to transport moisture through it and capillary pressure, which is the force that moves moisture through or along a fabric.
- Compression socks: These are performance-enhancing socks. It’s like putting your socks on steroids because of how much they make you get from your legs. Compression socks work by tightening around the leg of the athlete, reaching just below the knees. Some people prefer long socks that go above the knee. Most athletes say they feel less fatigued when playing with compression socks on than when they use plain socks. Compression socks also have arch compression zones, which acts as a treatment aid for pain relief.
You can play for longer periods without the risk of developing blisters or sores when you use compression socks.
- Ergonomic cushioning: The heels of the socks have ergonomic cushioning, which serves as a protection for the athlete’s heel while jumping or running. This ability enables athletes to train and play hard without fear or risk of getting injuries.
- Fabric: Basketball socks are unique with a blend of fibers that enhances the quality of the socks for maximum performance. It’s a perfect blend of polypropylene, nylon, Lycra spandex, and elastic. What this means is that your socks can withstand regular washing and intensive gameplay while still remaining intact.
- Creative design: You should not be forced to sacrifice design for performance. Most performance athlete socks also bear wonderful designs that you should consider as a team. Having matching colors or numbers on the players can be motivating to individual team members.
Basically, socks should be like gloves for your feet, they should fit perfectly. And like other sportswear, like performance-enhancing tights or a stink-proof shirt, your basketball socks should also be selected with precision. Finding the right socks for your sport discipline is not difficult if you know what strengths you’re looking for. The next time you’re out shopping for your training socks, shop with a particular sport in mind.