Everyone wants to be happy, successful in life, and achieve their dreams. But what determines our achievements?
Numerous psychological studies that were conducted in the past 50 years support the evidence that success in life is related to self-confidence. In other words, self-confident people usually succeed in all spheres of life and, on the other hand, successful people typically have a high level of self-confidence.
Moreover, psychological research reveals that confidence is very important for performance in any activity and matters as much as abilities.
Self-confidence is crucial for progress in every aspect of our lives, yet many people struggle to develop this quality. They constantly ask themselves if they are smart, attractive or good enough to be happy and never stop worrying about that other people may think about them.
Unfortunately, people who have low self-confidence, find it difficult to become successful. If you suffer from poor self-esteem, you should take measures to overcome it to feel good about yourself and become the master of your own life.
Read this article and learn about 10 great benefits you can experience when you improve your self-esteem and prepare yourself to become a winner.
What is Self-Esteem and Why Is It Important?
There are two qualities that contribute to self-confidence: self-esteem and self-efficacy. Albert Bandura, a psychologist at Stanford University defines self-efficacy as a people’s beliefs in their abilities to gain success in a certain situation that determine how we think, feel, and behave.
People who have lots of confidence in their capabilities consider difficult tasks as challenges to master their skills and not as threats they should avoid. Self-confidence improves a person’s motivation to put much effort in achieving his goals and overcome numerous difficulties and temptations that test his or her willpower.
Self-esteem is our actual emotional feelings and opinions about ourselves, our self-worth or personal value. It includes beliefs about oneself (e.g.’I am worthy’), and some emotional states – pride, shame, despair, and triumph. It affects how we think, act, and relate to other people, and allows us to live our lives to our potentials. Actually, self-esteem determines how happy we are and has a direct bearing on our well-being.
High self-esteem makes a foundation for every positive experience in your life and helps you see positives sides in every situation, get through tough times, and appreciate good times. Having high self-esteem is important for every area of your life – it is related to all good things that you can just think of:
- better economic standing,
- good mental and physical health,
- higher educational achievements,
- happy personal relationships,
- better career prospects,
- high self-esteem gives you strength to take charge of your life, learn from mistakes, and grow as a person.
10 Most Common Benefits of Having High Self-Esteem
- You are more resilient to troubles and difficulties that are inevitable in life. When your self-esteem is high, you have the ability and skills to bounce back the failure, learn from mistakes, and make adjustments to improve the situation and overcome the obstacles.
- You feel happy and content with your life because you respect yourself and other people respect you.
- You feel more motivated to achieve your goals because high self-esteem makes you trusted by other people and enhances your confidence in your ability to succeed. As a result, you are more motivated to take actions.
- You enjoy better relationships with friends and partners and attract successful and confident people in your life who like you more for your positive energy.
- You can accept the challenges because you are confident in your strengths and know you can master everything.
- You perform better at any task: personal or related to your studies or your job.
- Your life is more exciting. You live your life to the fullest, try to use every opportunity and take risks because you feel confident that you can succeed in everything and achieve your goals.
- You realize that you don’t need to be perfect so you feel less stressed. You are not afraid to make bad decisions because you understand that anyone can make mistakes and it’s OK.
- You can be yourself and do need to adapt your behavior, values, and views to meet expectations of other people. You don’t worry that other people can disagree with your views or behavior. You don’t need an approval of other people. You that it is impossible to please everyone so you do what you consider to be right.
- You are successful in all spheres of life. You respect yourself and respect everyone around you. You make a good social image that contributes to your personal and social growth.
These are only some of the great advantages of high self-esteem but there are much more so high self-esteem is vital for keeping a healthy, balanced lifestyle.
Confident people have the power to conquer the world, they are admired by everyone and inspire other people to follow their examples.
They face challenges of life, take risks and seize opportunities, never give up, and succeed in everything they do – in school, in social and personal life, and at work.
Even if they fail, they see themselves and their lives in a positive way so they respect themselves and, as a result, they are respected by others.
How to build self-confidence? Self-confidence is a great skill and it can be learned and mastered by anyone just like any other skill.
You only have to believe in yourself and other people will believe in you and your whole life will completely change for the better. If you suffer from low self-confidence or self-esteem, you should make an effort to develop these features in yourself.
There are special techniques that you should practice every day and you are sure to become a self-confident person everyone will admire.
Quick Tips on How to Build Self-Esteem to Get Started
Gain control of yourself. Don’t be too critical and never compare yourself to other people. Everyone is different and every life has its own value. Make a list of your positive qualities and strengths and believe in yourself. Remember that you are unique and you really deserve to feel good about yourself.
Take care of your emotions and learn to manage anxiety, stress, frustration, anger, fear more effectively. When you learn how to cope with these emotions, you will also learn to take charge of your thoughts and behavior.
Don’t be a complainer. Stop focusing on difficulties and problems in your life. Instead, focus on their solutions and think about making positive changes.
Be appreciative for all good things in your life – your family, friends, and your achievements. Make a list of things that you appreciate most of all.
Identify your goals and your vision for the life you want to live but don’t set unrealistic expectations that can never become true. Take efforts to achieve your goals and measure the progress you make. Make the list of your accomplishments that you are proud of.
Enjoy positive relationships and remove negative people from your life. Spend more time with people who fill you with positive emotions and help you raise your self-esteem.
There is no magic solution that can boost your self-esteem and make you a more confident person at once.
You have to learn to feel good about yourself and be comfortable with the person that you are and it takes a lot of time, patience, and commitment.
But you should be consistent and focus on making small and, eventually, you can transform yourself and become a new person with a greater confidence in yourself and the whole world will belong to you.
Now you know how to build self-esteem so start making steps to changing your life right now and you will be pleasantly surprised with results.